Building Inspection / Application to Construct

Application Form

A copy of an Application to Construct, Alter, or Repair a Building or Structure (including Manufactured Home Foundations) is available for download here. Please read the information on this page to determine any other permits, restrictions, or outside agency requirements that may affect your project and other documents or permits that may be required to accompany your application. If you have any questions about completing the application form, please call our service centre at 960-4400.

Site Plan

A site plan is required showing the location of the new building, driveway and/or access road, property lines, accessory building and measurements from the new building to property lines. A sample site plan is available here.

Building Plans

Two sets of building plans, in metric or imperial measure, that are to include:

  • foundation plan showing footings and foundation walls
  • floor plan showing detailed layout and measurements
  • cross section showing details of:
    • footings, foundation, all framing
    • posts and beams
    • floor & roof structures
    • interior & exterior finishing

Sample building plans can be downloaded here.

Truss Details

Two sets of engineer's stamped truss details and other engineer's design components in the structure are required. Stamped truss details are not always available when applying. Therefore, truss details without an engineer’s stamp can be submitted and then replaced with the stamped copy once available, but stamped details must be provided to our office prior to calling for a framing inspection.

Manufactured Homes

Manufactured homes, sometimes referred to as mobile or modular homes, are an economical housing solution that have evolved from trailers and are now longer, heavier and more rigidly constructed. Because they are seldom moved once placed on a property, as much planning should go into the installation of a manufactured home as would be needed for a site built home.

All manufactured homes produced in Canada are required to carry a Canadian Standards Association Certification; either CSA Z240 for mobile homes, or CSA A277 for modular homes.

Manufactured homes used as residences on all properties within the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George must bear a valid CSA certification decal, to be approved for use as a dwelling unit. The decal is usually found affixed to the cladding just to the left of the main entrance. When making non-structural changes to the exterior of a manufactured home, do not remove or deface the CSA decal.

Manufactured homes are required to be set up in a manner that meets or exceeds the BC Building Code, CSA standards and manufacturer’s instructions for site preparations, foundations and anchorage. 

A sample manufactured home foundation construction detail is available here.

When ready for a final inspection, consult Final Inspection Requirements for Manufactured Homes to ensure that all items have been completed.


Is engineering required for this project?

Development Permits

Applicants must confirm with the Planning Department as to whether or not the property is in a Development Permit Area in which case a Development Permit will be required for the protection of the area.


Applicants must confirm with the Planning Department that zoning corresponds with building plans.

Onsite Sewage

If the new building involves any plumbing, a copy of the Record of Sewerage System filed with the Northern Health Authority is required. If an addition or alteration involves additional bedrooms or plumbing, notification from the Northern Health Authority advising if the present sewage disposal system will accommodate the changes will be required. If alterations or improvements to the sewerage system are necessary, a copy of the Record of Sewerage System filed with the Northern Health Authority will be required.

Approval of the installation/alteration of the sewage disposal system is required prior to a final building inspection.

BC Housing Office - Single Family Dwellings

Licensing & Consumer Services
Branch of BC Housing
Suite 203-4555 Kingsway
Burnaby BC  V5H 4T8

Plumbing Permit

A plumbing permit is generated with each building permit that has plumbing plans. Fees for plumbing permits are $100.00 for the first 10 fixtures and $6.00 for each additional fixture.

Permit Fees

Building Permit fees are calculated based on square footage and value of the project excluding land.

Permit fees for a Mobile Home Foundation are $130.00 for a single wide and $184.00 for a double-wide.

Inspection Schedule

Inspections must be completed at varying stages during the project.  A typical inspection schedule can be viewed here.

Visit our FAQ Page for more information.