Building permits are required to:
- Construct any new building or structure
- Construct a new accessory building over 10 m2
- Make alternations, additions or repairs to an existing building or structure
- Locate or relocate a manufactured or mobile home on a lot
- Remodel or construct a deck attached to another building
- Construct a free standing deck more than 24" above finished grade
- Install or alter plumbing within a building or structure
- Install a new chimney or fireplace
- Install a wood stove, fireplace insert or solid fuel burning appliance
- Enclose your carport or change your garage to living space
- Change the use/occupancy of an existing building (i.e. from storage to residential)
- Demolish or relocate a building or structure. More regarding Demolition in the Regional District.
This is not a comprehensive list. If you are unsure whether your project will require a permit, please call Building Inspection Services at 250-960-4400
Building Permits are not required for:
- Roof repairs or replacements ( providing that no structural changes are made)
- Landscaping or side walks
- Buildings (i.e. sheds or greenhouses) less than 10 square meters in size.
- Existing masonry chimneys or fire places
- Fabric covered temporary parking structures with a capacity of two passenger vehicles or less
- Repair or replacement of existing plumbing fixtures that do not effect the venting or sewage system
NOTE: A detached accessory building less than 10 m2 (107.6 ft2) is exempt from requiring a Building Permit, but must still meet setback requirements specified in the Zoning Bylaw.
If you are unsure whether your project will require a permit, please contact Building Inspection Services 250-960-4400