Building Inspection / Applying for a Building Permit

Applying for a Building Permit

Building Permits are required for any new construction, alteration, addition, moving or demolition of a structure (including Manufactured Home Foundations). A registered owner or agent for the owner may apply for the building permit.    

Review the Building Permit Application Checklist as only complete applications are accepted for processing.

Required for all permits: 

  • Building Permit Application
  • one copy of a Site Plan (not required if Development Permit on file)
  • two copies of Building Plans to scale – ¼” per foot (preferred) 11 X 17 or larger
  • Title Search (within three months)
  • Application Processing fee $100 

Required supporting documents but not limited to: (dependent on permit type and location of property)  

  • Truss Layout
  • Engineering schedules and/or reports
  • Home Warranty Insurance BC Housing
  • Septic Filing - from ROWP & accepted by Northern Health Authority
  • Appointment of Agent Form
  • Electrical permit from Technical Safety BC (by or at Final/Occupancy Inspection) 1-866-566-7233 Technical Safety BC
  • Gas permit from Technical Safety BC (by or at Final/Occupancy Inspection) 1-866-566-7233
  • Schedule C-B (by or at Final/Occupancy Inspection)
  • Energy Step Code Compliance Report

*For Sample Drawings and other applications see publications and forms*

Building Permit applications can be submitted by either: 

  • PDF application form by email, mail or hand delivery, along with supporting documents
  • HUB Online, an application portal to make and track applications online
    We appreciate your patience as we launch this new service. For assistance, contact us at or 250-960-4400, or use the feedback button in the portal.


Manufactured Homes

Manufactured homes, sometimes referred to as mobile or modular homes, are an economical housing solution that have evolved from trailers and are now longer, heavier and more rigidly constructed. They are rarely moved once placed on a property, so as much planning should go into the installation of a manufactured home as would be needed for a site built home.

All manufactured homes produced in Canada are required to carry a Canadian Standards Association Certification; either CSA Z240 MH for manufactured homes, or CSA A277 for modular homes.  Manufactured homes used as residences on Regional District of Fraser-Fort George properties must bear a valid CSA certification decal and contain the construction documentation to be approved for use as a dwelling unit. The decal is usually found affixed to the cladding just to the left of the main entrance. When making non-structural changes to the exterior of a manufactured home, do not remove or deface the CSA decal.

Used Manufactured Homes may not meet the Regional District snow loads or be structurally sound for moving. An engineer will be required to certify that the building is safe to transport.  The engineer may also be required to certify that the building meets the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George snow-load if original documentation cannot be provided.   

Manufactured homes are required to be set up to meet or exceed the BC Building Code, CSA standards and manufacturer’s instructions for site preparations, foundations and anchorage. Application for Manufactured Home.
Samples of manufactured home construction details are available here.

When ready for inspections, consult Inspection Requirements for Manufactured Homes to ensure that all items have been completed.

Manufactured Home Guidelines