Land Use Planning / Additional Services Provided


Special Events

A Special Events Permit is required for any event, public show, exhibition, carnival, fair, concert or commercial performance which might reasonably be expected to have attendance of more than 1,000 people. Special Events Permit application fee is $200 and must be submitted no less than 180 days prior to the proposed event taking place.

House Numbering

In the Electoral Areas of the Regional District, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is the authority for naming and maintaining roads. House numbers, also known as civic addresses, are assigned by the Regional District. House numbers, along with a road name, are used for the identification of homes and businesses for Emergency 9-1-1 service.
Obtaining a House Number
A house number is issued based on the location of a home on a property and its driveway access to the main road. Numbers are not issued to vacant land. New house numbers are most commonly issued during the Building Permit application process. The following information is required to issue a house number:
  • the distance (in feet or metres) of the building from the front property line
  • the distance of the building from at least one of the side lot lines
  • the location of your driveway in relation to the property line along the road
  • the location of your driveway in relation any nearby driveways located across the road (required to ensure that numbers increase/decrease in sequence along the road)
Building Permit Site Plan
Every home should be assigned a number. If you do not have a number, or need a number confirmed, contact the Planning Department.
Displaying Your House Number
Clearly posting your house number is important for efficient emergency service response. Purchase and installation of a house number sign is at the owner’s expense. Guidelines and considerations for signage include:
  • dark and/or reflective numbers on a white background
  • numbers 7.5 to 13.5 cm (3 to 5 inches) high
  • at least 1.4 metres (4 feet) off the ground
  • out of the path of snow clearing equipment or growing vegetation
  • location of driveway is clearly marked to vehicles on the main road


Subdivision Referrals

Subdivision is a complex process involving the overlapping interests of many different agencies. Subdivision of land within the electoral areas of the Regional District is evaluated by the local district office of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) and the Provincial Approving Officer. A subdivision needs to comply with Provincial regulations, local government bylaws and the best interests of the public. 
Rural Subdivision Brochure
MoTI Rural Subdivision Approvals
Subdivision of land within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) is restricted by the Agricultural Land Commission Act. To subdivide land in the ALR, you must submit an application to the Agricultural Land Commission and obtain its approval.   
ALR Information 
The Regional District bylaws manage land use, development density, lot size and servicing requirements. The Provincial Approving Officer is authorized to refuse a subdivision if it does not conform to these bylaws. When you make an application for subdivision to MoTI, they will forward the proposal to the Regional District for comment and to assess if the proposal meets the requirements for the subdivision to proceed. This may include an application for Official Community Plan amendment, Zoning amendment, or Development Permit. Other considerations might include provision of park land, or proof of drinking water supply and sewage system.
Brochure Link

For more information on any of these services, contact the Planning Department at 250-960-4400 or