Materials for Composting
Yard and garden waste is accepted from commercial sources, like landscapers, and from residents.
Clean, source-separated yard and garden waste is received at no charge. Yard and garden waste is defined as:
- leaves, grass and hedge clippings, grass sod, plants, flowers, shrub and tree branches up to 75 mm (3 inches) in diameter
- processed yard and garden waste like tree pruning waste which has been chipped to less than 50 mm in any dimension
- Fruits and berries are not accepted as they attract wildlife to the composting facility and landfill, which contravenes the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill's Operating Certificate (issued by the Ministry of Environment).
- Branches and woody debris over 75 mm (3 inch) in diameter and stumps have a high carbon to nitrogen ratio which affects the composting process. These materials are also bulky which significantly increases handling and processing costs.
- Non-organic material such as dirt, rocks, asphalt, concrete and metals damages the processing equipment and contaminates the finished compost.
- Land clearing debris and industrial sources of wood waste cannot be composted because the capacity of the site is limited.
Loads contaminated with unacceptable materials are charged tipping fees as they must be landfilled.
For more information on what qualifies as yard and garden waste, contact the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill at 250-962-8972
NorGrow compost is locally produced at the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill from residential and commercial yard and garden waste. This include grass clippings, leaves, shrubs, and branches. NorGrow does not contain biosolids (residuals from municipal wastewater treatment plants).
NorGrow is produced in accordance with the Provincial Organic Matter Recycling Regulation and meets the criteria of a Class A compost:
- Organic material is built into windrows that are aerated and mixed over 35 days.
- The windrows must maintain a minimum temperature of 55°C for at least 15 days.
- The resulting compost is cured for a minimum of 21 days.
- Samples are tested at an accredited laboratory for pH, 11 metals, foreign matter and other parameters.
NorGrow compost is for sale, while supplies last, at the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill:
Bring your own shovel!
- $6.00 minimum charge (3 cans or 1/2 metre)
- $12.00 m³
- available daily during regular business hours
Available starting May 1
- $7.50 minimum charge (3 cans or 1/2 metre)
- $15.00 m³
- available 10:00 am to 4:00 pm daily (no loading on Wednesdays or statutory holidays)
For more information on NorGrow compost, contact the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill at 250-962-8972