The Regional District encourages and supports backyard composting as a cost effective and efficient waste reduction option. Home composting provides residents with the opportunity to process organic materials they produce. Each home composter unit has the potential to divert 200 - 300 kg of organic material from regional landfills annually. There are two important benefits:
- A useful product in the form of finished compost is produced by the active composter at home, without the need for curbside collection or delivery of materials to a centralized compost facility.
- Can reduce your garbage output by up to 30%. This is a significant volume of organic material that is diverted from landfill. This material would consume valuable landfill space, and contribute to harmful leachate production and gas generation.
Purchase a Backyard Composter
Earth Machine Backyard Composters are an $80 value now only $50 taxes included. Available while supplies last from the Regional District office at 155 George St. Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The Earth Machine
- Large 360 litre capacity
- 33" high x 33" diameter
- 10 year warranty
- Over 2,500,000 in use
- Easy snap together assembly
- Made of recycled materials
- Big enough for a family of five
- Compost Aerator Tool
- Easy to use tool that makes compost mixing a breeze
- Only $24
For tips on backyard composting please visit REAPS.org