Backyard composting is a cost effective and efficient way to reduce waste, and each home composter can divert between 200 to 300 kg of organic material from the landfill every year. There are two important benefits:
- A useful product in the form of finished compost is produced by the active composter at home, without the need for curbside collection or delivery of materials to a centralized compost facility.
- Can reduce your garbage output by up to 30%. This is a significant volume of organic material that is diverted from landfill. This material would consume valuable landfill space, and contribute to harmful leachate production and gas generation.
Purchase a Backyard Composter
Earth Machine Backyard Composters are available for $50 taxes included ($80 value). Available while supplies last from the Regional District office at 155 George Street during regular business hours.
The Earth Machine
- 360 litre capacity
- 33" high x 33" diameter
- 10 year warranty
- Over 2,500,000 in use
- Easy snap together assembly
- Made of recycled materials
- Big enough for a family of five
- Compost Aerator Tool
- Easy to use tool that makes compost mixing a breeze
- Only $28
For tips on backyard composting please visit REAPS.org